We might not all associate Mother’s Day with great sales on certain food items! Even if you aren’t celebrating with your Mother, take advantage of picking up items on sale – and if you are, give her a big hug (and make her brunch.)
Flowers and Candy, and perhaps gardening items are all on sale before Mother’s Day, but there will be a glut of breakfast and brunch items on sale. The prices for some of the items may not be at their “greatest” sales price, but it’s likely that most of the breakfast and brunch items will be:
- Eggs, Bacon and Sausages, and perhaps some type of meat or steak that’s great for grilling
- Fish – generally you’ll find several different types of fish, but usually Salmon; Lobster Tail and Shrimp will probably be on sale, although not at their lowest prices of the year.
- Cheeses and Cream Cheese, probably some type of dips and Sour Cream, and Yogurt. Probably Cottage Cheese.
- Coffee Creamer
- Orange Juice and other juices, refrigerated and frozen
- Premixed Pancake Mix
- English Muffins and Bagels
In the Produce Aisle:
- Lettuce, usually specialty Salad mixex
- Mushrooms, often the fancier ones
In the regular Grocery sections:
- English Muffins
- Hot Dog and Hamburger Buns
- Muffin, Cake and Pancake Mixes, along with Syrup
- Snack crackers and junk food items – usually some type of Chip, and almost always Wheat Thins and Triscuits
- Cereal will be on sale, and it is very likely Oatmeal will be on sale (including Standard Quick and Old Fashioned Oats, which tend to go on sale a lot less than the “value added” products.)
- Chocolate Chips and Baking Chocolate
- Flour, Sugar, some baking items like Chocolate and Chocolate Chips
- Specialty bread and bakery items like Coffee Cakes and usually Angel Food cake and Shortcakes (which are sometimes in the produce aisle.) Muffins are big, too.
Juices, Frozen Waffles and Pancakes, and Whipped Toppings as well as Ice-Cream. Although often unadvertised, check and see if Puff Pastry, Phyllo Dough and Frozen Berries are at a low.
While Beer is on sale at almost every holiday, for Mother’s Day you’ll likely see sales on a few wines and coolers. It’s very likely you’ll see sales on bottles of this or that which one might use to make “fancier” cocktails – Rums and flavored Rums, Vodkas and things like Amaretto.
On almost any Holiday (especially as summer approaches) there may be sales on Toilet Paper, Dish Detergent, Plastic Storage items, garbage bags, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, and Charcoal and lighter fluid.
Check out some of my favorite Breakfast and Brunch Dishes – and when you cook for your Mom this Mother’s Day, make sure to do the dishes, too!
Another favorite – this one Mom or Dad can help the kids assemble the night before – minimal fuss and effort and no heating anything!